You Can’t Print Money, But Here’s How You Can Save It with Better Printing Supplies
Printing supplies, such as barcode labels, are often treated as a commodity. Many companies buy cheap labels because the up-front costs are lower, and they think they’ll save money.
However, the up-front cost savings often come with a long-term price. When you’re using low-grade and low-cost labels and printing supplies, you can end up spending a lot more money on your printers, and as a result, costing your company a lot of money in lost productivity.
Here are the hidden expenses that result from using low-cost printing supplies and how you can save considerable long-term cost by investing in better quality.
- Low-cost labels are often produced with substandard and inconsistent materials that can damage expensive equipment such as your label printer printheads. Many have sandpaper-like surfaces that cause printhead elements to fail prematurely, which costs you hundreds or thousands of dollars in early replacements.
Premature printhead wear can also result in poor print quality and unreadable labels. That means more re-scanning and delays in your workflows as your workers deal with these issues.
- If you’re using cheap labels for direct thermal printing, heat sensitivities often become an issue, and lower quality materials often require constant adjustments to your printer settings to avoid barcode scanning issues.
- If you’re using pre-printed colors on your labels but buying them from a low-cost manufacturer, your colors can actually end up transferring to your printhead and causing an ink buildup that slows down your printing and can cause print quality issues.
- Low-cost labels are generally produced for the most basic applications and not for applications where labels might be exposed to sunlight, moisture, water, or chemicals. If you choose cheap labels and they’re not made with the right materials to withstand these conditions, you can easily end up with damaged and unreadable barcodes and information.
- Adhesion is another common problem with low-cost barcode labels because they’re often produced with substandard adhesives and aren’t matched to specific labeling applications. Your labels can end up peeling or falling off, leaving your assets, products, or shipments unidentified and not trackable.
- Buying cheap labels often means you’ll end up buying cheap supplies or potentially mismatching your low-cost label with your printer ribbon. Since specific labeling applications require a proper match between the label and ribbon, the wrong ribbon can quickly cause print fading and rub-off.
How to Avoid High Long-Term Labeling Costs
At Informs, we work with our customers to minimize long-term labeling and operational costs by matching the right printing supplies with your application requirements and avoiding the commodity trap.
In our experience, our best recommendation is to invest in Zebra-certified printing supplies. Zebra’s labels, ribbons, and printing supplies are manufactured with consistent and ISO-certified processes, which ensures the highest quality and performance.
They’re rigorously pre-tested on Zebra printers to assess printhead wear, and they’re thoroughly tested for adhesion, durability, and scannability according to the environment and demands of each application.
In the end, you get labels that print and perform flawlessly, reduce your printhead wear and related costs, reduce your supplies usage, and save your workers hundreds or even thousands of hours in reprinting, printer adjustments, servicing, or repairs.
As an added bonus, if you use Zebra printers and agree to use Zebra supplies exclusively, you get 100% protection against premature printhead failure. If a printhead ever fails early, it will be replaced at no cost.
To learn more about Zebra supplies and get expert advice for your application, contact our labeling experts at Informs for more information.
Make working smarter, not harder, your New Year’s resolution! Informs and Honeywell can help you achieve this goal with the newest innovation in printing solutions – Honeywell Smart Printers. By integrating the functionality of a personal computer into a Smart Printer, businesses are able to boost productivity, reduce operating costs and improve accuracy.
Informs brings you Honeywell Smart Printing technology, where the “intelligence” of a computer is actually inside the printer, completely eliminating the need for a connected PC. Smart Printing utilizes the memory and processing capabilities of advanced printers to connect to and control devices, run printing operations and integrate with enterprise systems. This is all accomplished independently, without requiring a network connection to a separate host computer.
This truly sets Smart Printers apart from standard models. Smart Printers run software applications and function as a programmable logic controller to other devices, such as scales, scanners and label applicators. Many Smart Printers provide software connectivity options to enterprise systems, essentially removing the need for middleware or custom interface development. Plus, Smart Printers are easier to install and quite simply, smarter by design.
Self-management is another invaluable attribute of Smart Printers. This enables the printer to: 1) monitor print quality, 2) automatically adjust bar code position to accommodate a failing printhead and 3) provide troubleshooting instructions to the operator when self-correction is not available. In high-volume, automated environments where downtime is not an option, Smart Printers that are compatible with enterprise device management systems are not only a bonus, but a must.
By eradicating the need for additional PCs and cables that require installation and maintenance, the simplified system architecture of Honeywell Smart Printers significantly lowers your total cost of ownership. And with more onboard memory than computer-dependent printers, Smart Printers speed up common maintenance tasks and maximize workflows. The bottom line – your New Year’s resolution to implement Smart Printing into your daily operations will help you lower IT, networking and support costs, simplify routine tasks and streamline overall printing processes. Now that’s the way to ring in a new year!
Let’s recap the numerous advantages of Honeywell Smart Printers.
- Operates independently from a host computer.
- Acts as a programmable logic controller for peripheral devices, such as scanners, scales and keyboards.
- Drives databases that automatically include product codes, unit prices, customer ID numbers and the like in the printed output.
- Processes multiple transactions, executes payment and runs standalone apps.
- Connects instantly to scales, bar code scanners and other peripherals.
- Formats variable data input into information on printed labels, receipts or documents.
- Functions in mobile environments where wireless networks and host devices are not available.
- Offers self-diagnostic, troubleshooting and remote management capabilities.
With a variety of Honeywell Smart Printer models available, Informs can help guide you to the perfect Smart Printing solution.
- High Performance Printers
- Mid-Range Printers
- Commercial Printers
- Ultra-Compact Printers
- Mobile Label Printers
- Mobile Receipt Printers
- Workboard Printers
At Informs, we have the knowledge, training and expertise to guide you through the process of implementing Smart Printing technology into your organization. Contact us today for a FREE hands-on demo of one of the smartest decisions you’ll make this year!
When you make a significant investment in technology, you’re investing in more than just the products you’re buying. Ultimately, what you really want to purchase is peace of mind. But in this day and age where it’s all about the quick sale, that sentiment is rare. At Informs, we understand that a purchase is so much more than a product. It’s about service. It’s about support. It’s about a relationship. That’s why Informs is more than one of the largest Honeywell resellers in the United States. We are your partner. We are your support. We are your personal helpdesk. Because service shouldn’t end when you purchase a product. At Informs, this is just the beginning.
Whether you need system and device configuration, custom packaging and kitting, software preloading or special volume-based pricing, our comprehensive array of services are designed to meet your unique needs. Knowledgeable, attentive and available 24/7, the Informs team of experts can guide you through program implementation and integration, develop plans to help you streamline processes and ensure that you have the support you need, right when you need it, as long as you need it. Now that’s peace of mind.
We have a multitude of services to accommodate your specific requirements:
- Online Ordering Systems and Customer Storefronts
- Custom Billing and Reporting
- Prototyping Pilot Programs
- 24/7 Hardware, Software, Application and Connectivity Support
- Overnight Replacement and Warranty Management
- Secure Mobile Device Management
- Quarterly Business and Analytics Data Review
- 24/7 Support
- Maintenance and Service Programs
- Depot and Onsite Repair
- Spare Pool Management
- National Coverage
- Site Surveys
- Network Design
- Application Development
- System Integration
- RFID Solutions
- Onsite Management
- Inventory Monitoring
- Purchase and Usage Tracking
- Backup Stock Replenishment
Supply Chain Logistics
- Blind Drop Shipping
- Integration with Electronic Data Interchange
- Customized Box and Pallet Labels
- Remote Webinars
- Onsite Training
- Instruction Manuals
In addition, Informs specialists have extensive training and proficiency in cutting-edge Honeywell technology, like the Mobility Edge™ platform, Smart Printing and OS migration. Informs offers more than products, they deliver full-scale solutions. They develop a roadmap to help you integrate these enterprise solutions throughout your organization to drive revenue, increase productivity, simplify daily operations and improve worker satisfaction. When you purchase a Honeywell product from Informs, you purchase a relationship. You purchase a skilled and knowledgeable professional who can take you seamlessly from delivery to implementation and guide you through every step in between. When you purchase Honeywell products and solutions from Informs, you purchase peace of mind.
This invaluable 24/7 support, guidance and dedication to your success is Informs’ commitment to every customer. Contact us today to start building a partnership that will elevate you above the competition.